Insurance FAQs

Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Can I check with my insurance company if Real Food Blends is covered? I’m selecting a new plan, how do I check if RFB is covered?

Yes! You’ll want to contact your insurer or plan administrator and inquire if there is coverage for HCPCS B4149. We would also recommend asking what the requirements are for this code – some insurers only require a letter from your doctor, others might require proof of failing other formulas.

What is proof of medical necessity? I have a feeding tube, isn’t that enough?

Unfortunately for some insurance plans, you need to have proof of failing other formulas before Real Food Blends will be covered. Ask your doctor for any or all of the following items to show that you are not tolerating typical formula:

  • Weight charts
  • List of medications to help motility, reflux, constipation or diarrhea
  • Any notes in your chart / medical record that refer to vomiting, nausea, bowel issues, reflux management, other changes in formula, lack of weight gain / weight loss, etc. All of these can be seen as signs/symptoms of intolerance.
  • The Letter of Medical Necessity from your doctor will help with this but make sure to include any and all documentation as well.

Can I pay for Real Food Blends with my Health Savings Account or Flexible Spending Account (HSA or FSA?) Can I write off the meals as a medical expense?

Typically, Yes! Please contact your plan administrator on eligibility or discuss with your accountant on deducting Real Food Blends from your income taxes as medical expenses. We can provide a details receipt for your tax keeping records if needed. Please email us at to request.

Do you offer a discount program for those without insurance coverage?

Yes! Our subscription program saves you 10% off the cost of our meals and offers convenient monthly delivery to your doorstep. You can also apply for our Insurance Denial Assistance Program — learn more about that here.

Why does my friend get coverage and I don’t?

Coverage can vary from insurance-to-insurance (and there are many different types of plans – even within a certain state Medicaid plan, there may be multiple types of Medicaid) and depending on your documented medical condition, proof of failing formula and, sometimes, even just if the meals were billed correctly!

Can I receive coverage if taking Real Food Blends orally?

No, not usually. Most insurance carriers require our meals to be billed as ‘enteral formula’ – for tube feeding only. You can always check with your insurance carrier.

As always, we are here to help! Please contact us at for insurance-related questions.